Thursday, June 11, 2009

Welding, not welding, welding...

First post with no photos. Not much has changed since the last post, but wanted to do a quick update. All of the steel has been cut for the battery boxes and just about all the boxes are tack welded together. There were a few setbacks when my Argon/CO2 tank ran out and I had to take it in for a re-fill. The tank was out of certification, so they had to send it away for a week to be pressure tested. The gas company gave me a small loaner bottle to use in the interim.

Last Sunday we got down to seriously welding the main rear of axle battery box. Before this I purchased 4 of the GC-2 golf cart batteries from Sam's Club so that we could do final fitting checks before finish welding all the joints. The batteries fit this box perfectly.

The bad new is: the little bottle of gas lasted about an hour and we did not even get all the joints done on this battery box. So after buying Mike some lunch, we called it a day.

Yesterday, I went to the gas company and retrieved my bottle and some 2/0 welding cable to use for High Voltage connections. Hopefully we are set up to complete some battery boxes next weekend.

I didn't realize this process with the battery boxes would take so long. Live and learn, I guess. Keep moving forward and until next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment