Monday, August 17, 2009

Paint, Front Batteries, Circuit Breaker...Progress


It has been quite sometime since my last update. The weekends are the primary time to work on the S10, and I have been gone a few, and had more pressing things going for others. So, here is what has gone on since the last blog post.

I completed all of the priming of the rear battery boxes and frame. Following this I applied 2 coats of flat black paint to the same area. Next I installed a set of helper springs to the rear leaf springs. These will enable 1500 pounds of extra load. Then I ran the lines for the air shocks and tested them. This pretty much completes the battery racks until batteries are purchased.

Up front, the 4 front batteries were installed and cabled in series. I also ran the wiring to the controller and the motor. This is all now complete. My attention then turned to the main circuit breaker for the high voltage. I purchased a box from digikey to mount the breaker in. I had a difficult time finding a place inside the cab to mount the circuit breaker box and finally decided to put it under the driver's seat. When finished there will be a line attached to the breaker to a ring mounted by the driver so that the driver can trip the breaker to off if needed. The photos show the breaker during and after installation. I then ran the 2/0 wire to the main contactor under the hood.

That about wraps it up. I have one more 2/0 wire to run from the front batteries to the rear battery box, then I will be ready to buy the remainder of the batteries and install them. I believe the light is starting to be visible at the end of the tunnel! Until next time, I will .....keep moving forward!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jim,
    Sounds great that you know all about your stuff! Its intriguing when you speak to someone who knows what they speak about, as oppose to reciting it from someone else they learned from. I can see you are very experienced and with your credentials it is quite obvious that you will make it far in life, or have already made it far in life :)

    ReplyDelete