Monday, December 7, 2009

67 EV Miles so far...

This is a "catch-up" post with things that have gone on the past few weeks. No pictures for this one, but I will have some next time! The truck is now drivable, but I still have a considerable punch list of completion items, the big one being a paint job.

Mark Hazen of www.evhelp.com brought my upgraded controller back a couple Saturdays ago. We installed it and took the truck for a short test drive. Everything was working great! I finished that day with a nice EV grin. My longest trip so far has been 17 miles round trip. I had around 75-80 percent charge remaining on the batteries on my return. I will gradually increase the distance to gauge my working range of the truck. It took around 4 1/2 hours to recharge after this trip.

I purchased a kwh meter, single outlet, manufactured by Kill a Watt. One of my 12 chargers is connected through this meter. This will enable me to measure the electricity used for a single charger and multiply by 12 for total power use. More on this later when I have more data to write about. I should be able to calculate my cost per mile.

So, here we are, short and sweet. More to come later, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jim,

    I realize this is 2+ years after you stopped updating this blog, but...I am converting a 2000 S10. What did you do with all the wires that came from the computer? I know I need to preserve the starter and ignition wires, and would like to preserve the check engine light. Did you cut the wires? Did you keep the computer?

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Yancey, wmbyancey@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete