Saturday, March 7, 2009

Installing the Motor


Catching up...the date is on or about February 2nd, 2009. It is time to install the electric motor into the truck. Almost...first I had to have 2 steel brackets fabricated. (3/16", 3" wide steel stock) These would be the mounts for the motor controller and the DC to DC converter. My local steel establishment took my measurements and delivered the goods. Perfect fit. These would go under the motor mounts and attach with the motor mount bolts. The holes I was using in the frame for the new mounts were not threaded. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a metric tap and die set for 14 bucks. It worked great and I threaded the holes with ease.
On to the motor! After having an expert inspect my old clutch, it was decided to buy a new clutch. I would not be too thrilled to have to take things apart too soon after putting them together. After purchasing the clutch, my son and I lifted the motor to a position that we could work on it. We installed the hub to the motor shaft, and then attached the adapter to the motor. We used locktite on all the bolts/set screws. Next was the flywheel, then the clutch. We also replaced the throwout bearing. The motor was then lifted into place in the engine compartment of the truck and slowly aligned with the transmission. There was an issue with the pilot shaft of the transmission going all the way into the hub, which was solved with a little light sanding. Once together, everything was bolted together and tightened down. The motor top bracket was left for a few days and then secured. I ran a test of the motor through to the wheels by supporting the rear axle on jack stands and running the motor with a 12v battery. Everything seemed to work OK, the first roadtest will tell the tale. This completed a major milestone, the electric motor is installed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Why did you use clutch? Any reason for that?Most of EV I know off dont have it. I am working on EV myself and just curious. Please reply to georgiy@levashov.com

    ReplyDelete