Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Removing the Engine


The date was 12/06/08 and it was time to get that greasy hunk of iron and steel out of my electric truck! Thanks to my son Matthew for letting me borrow his engine hoist, without it I could have hurt my back. ;) First we disconnected the myriad of wiring to all points on the engine. (The oil pressure sensor is connected to the ECM, the battery's connected to the alternator...(sang to tune of dry bones)....you get the picture.) We then used some old towing chains to secure the motor to the hoist and then took out all the bolts on the bell housing to engine. The motor mounts were next. After a bit of wiggling, the engine separated from the transmission and we lifted the ICE out. We then removed the clutch and flywheel to be used on the electric motor. The remains of the engine sits in my garage waiting for me to find it a home at a recycling center or if anyone needs a 2.2 block and head let me know. As you can see from the photos, the engine compartment was a huge greasy mess. Next in the process....clean up the mess!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm about to remove the engine from my '94 Sonoma. Any tips you can give after removing your engine? Were thebolts mating the engine to the tranny difficult to access? Any special tools required?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam, it's not too difficult, there were 6 bolts holding my engine to the tranny. A couple are hard to get to, but once they are out, everything slips apart very easily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete